- The menu system in Paratext has changed from having menus visible all the time (above the toolbar) to having menus that are accessible by clicking on a menu icon: .
- The series of menu items to open various items has been reduced to a single “Open” command on the main menu.
- An Enhanced Resource is a resource text in which many words and phrases are linked to source language research material. That research material assists users to complete a high-quality translation by helping them do exegetical study or other research tasks on source-language words and phrases.
- You can open items in panels, tabs, floating windows, or the autohide area and can then arrange them in a layout to help you do your work.
- The default for opening a tool is to open it as a floating window.
- You can close everything that is open in Paraetext without closing Paratext itself. (Click the main menu icon, then from the Window menu, select Close all.
Layouts (formerly called Text Combinations)
- If you save a text combination in Paratext 8, you can open it as a layout in Paratext 9.0 (and later).
- You can share a layout with others.
- If you open a shared layout but your computer is missing resources or projects in that layout, Paratext will offer to Send/Receive the projects you are missing and to Download/Install the resources you are missing.
VPN Internet Access
- You can disable Internet use in sensitive locations but still connect to the Internet through a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- You can add ruby glossing to Chinese characters (called “Han characters”).
- You can change your Paratext Registration Name.
- You can change the USFM version used in an existing project.
- You can select the USFM version used in a new project when you create that project.
Parallel Passages tool
- You can choose to either display a single check box per set of parallel passages, or display a check box for each verse in a set of parallel passages. Depending on your choice, clicking to put a tick in the check box either approves all verses in a particular set of parallel passages or approves an individual verse.
- The verse references in the Parallel Passages tool have fewer color distinctions.
In the Download/Install Resources dialog box:
- Enter text in the “Filter Text” box to limit the resources displayed to those that contain that text in their “Name”, “Full Name”, or “Language”.
- In the “Full Name” column, resources that have been updated since you downloaded them are labeled “Update” and resources that are new are labeled “New”
Instead of marking and unmarking occurrences of Biblical Terms renderings as having a glossary entry, you now link or unlink occurrences of Biblical Terms renderings to a glossary entry.
- You can import words from a spell-checking dictionary into the Wordlist.
- The address to which to report problems, bugs, or errors is: [+email@example.com+](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If a back translation is in the active tab, Status of Back Translation appears on the View menu. If status check boxes do not appear, click Status of Back Translation to display them.
- You can ignore whitespace differences in anything that includes one or more whitespace characters.
- In a Text Collection, a slash in a text in the left pane indicates that there is a line break or poetic marker at that point in the text.
- For a project on the Paratext registry, you no longer need to Send/Receive it when you modify user permissions.
- If data in your project uses a mix of composed and decomposed characters (likely due to using different keyboard layouts), you will no longer have false errors when either comparing texts, reviewing recent changes, or looking at project history.
- There is a new command to Send/Receive this project. (Click the project menu icon on a project and find the Send/Receive this project menu item.)
- There is a new way to report a bug or to make a feature request.
- If open items in Paratext belong to more than one scroll group, there is a letter (or symbol) at the lower right of the tab icon to indicate which scroll group each open item belongs to.