Click Getting Started if you are upgrading to Paratext from a previous version.
New and existing users of Paratext both need to register to receive a Paratext registration code. If you have multiple Paratext users, ensure your organization is registered. Starting with Paratext 8 projects must also be registered for access to the full set of features.
Paratext is free for all. Registration at registry.paratext.org gives immediate access to the Basic Tier of usage. If you also select and are approved by a qualifying organization, you will have access to the Translator Tier which enables you to:
- Register Paratext projects.
- Migrate your shared projects from Paratext 7.
- Access restricted Resource Texts.
Choosing the right organization: When you register, select your local organization if it exists in the Registry, rather than a regional or global organization.
- If you are a new Paratext user, your organization will review whether you have a direct or supporting role in Bible translation. Upon approval, you will receive an email with your new Paratext code.
- If you are coming from Paratext 7, you must provide your old Paratext 7 code upon registration. This is to preserve access to your Paratext 7 projects.
Independent Translator Status
If you leave the organization field blank when you register because you don’t see yours on the list, please register your organization in the Organization Registration section. If you are not working with an organization that can qualify to use Paratext, and you wish to register a project that you will manage and publish, then you can apply to be considered as an independent translator. If accepted, you will be able to use the Translator Tier.
Organization registration grants your organization’s users the following permissions:
- Register Paratext projects.
- Migrate their existing projects from Paratext 7.
- Access all Resource Texts which your organization has permission to access.
Registering a New Organisation
An organization may request to be approved for Paratext use, enabling access to the Translator Tier. It must agree to abide by the FOBAI Translation Basic Principles and Procedures. A person with suitable authority within an organization should register the organization. If the organization has local or regional sub-organizations, register them after the main organization has been registered. All organization registration requests will be considered.
Registering a Copyright-Holder
Select this option only if you need to attribute copyright of a project to an organization that does not yet exist in the Registry. May not register any users or projects.
The registration status of the currently active project window determines your level of access to Paratext features. The level of access can be different for different projects on your computer.
- Basic Tier: Unregistered projects have access to a basic set of Paratext features. Technical support is not provided for these projects.
- Translator Tier: Registered projects gain immediate access to the features of the Translator Tier, including technical support. Within two weeks, the organization’s registration reviewer is notified to verify the details of the registration.
- Publisher Tier: After two weeks of internal review, the registry reviewers in other Paratext organizations are notified and have 28 days to review the registration. If no issues are signaled, the project passes to the Publisher Tier.
The table below compares the three project tiers.
|TIERS OF USE:||Basic Tier||Translator Tier||Publisher Tier|
|Tier Qualifications||All unregistered projects are in the Basic Tier.
No assertions as to translation standards are required.
|Print draft, Export to RTF or Pathway||No||Yes||Yes|
Guess translations, Interlinearizer
|Concordance Builder & Names Index Builder||No||No||Yes|
|Publishing Assistant (link)||No||No||Yes, after taking a training course.|
Some project types do not need to be registered directly:
- Consultant Notes projects do not need to be registered at all.
- Certain types of auxiliary projects are based on another translation and do not need to be registered directly because they inherit the registration status of the standard project.